These Hospices provide specialist palliative care across the Woking and North West Surrey area for over 1400 adults per year, predominantly at home, with additional support provided for patients’ families.
Some details of the Hospices’ day-to-day activities:
• Community teams of Clinical nurse specialists provide an 8am to 8pm service 7 days a week, supported by a 24hr telephone advice line and rapid response service.
• In 2016 there were over 400 individual patient stays in the in-patient units with half being discharged after a short stay for assessments, symptom control and respite.
• At any one time the dedicated Counselling Team support up to 140 adults and children.
• The Hospices’ services include spiritual care, physio, occupational and complementary therapies and the support of a social worker to all patients and their families.
• Over 800 volunteers support the work of the Charity.
• The Hospices cost £8.9m to run in 2016. 29% comes from NHS grants with the remainder from fundraising support of local people, legacies, associations, local businesses and charity shops.
Woking Hospice will shortly be moving to a new 20-bed Hospice and Wellbeing Centre in Goldsworth Park, Woking (close to Waitrose), with the first patients using the in-patient and day-care facilities this Spring. It will be a welcoming place where personal, individualised care, for which the charity is renowned, will be delivered in the most modern environment.
Various items to equip the physiotherapy facility in the new Wellbeing Centre will cost £5,000, let’s set that as our fundraising target for the Club - I know that our support will be very much appreciated.
Samantha McPherson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Tim Stokes (email@example.com) have kindly agreed to coordinate our effort, working with all sections of the Club. Please look out for their messages and let’s do all that we can to contribute.
Any personal donations or ideas to support this initiative will be warmly welcome; please click here for more detail of the Hospices’ work.